X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum! November 2017 please read!

Hey everyone,
    James here, digital manager at the 'Shed.
    We've been moving a lot of our digital platforms recently and noticed that the forums needed some love. So we've moved the forum onto a new cloud service to give it all a refresh and an update. It also means there's now a dedicated address http://forum.thebikeshed.cc.

Everything should be the same with your posts, user accounts, and content, as we migrated it all over.

What we'd like to hear from you is anything you may want from these forums. I'd love to be able to add features or design that you guys want.
    Design will be built upon over the next week, but we now have a base to start from!

Best
    James

To go back to how it was ? Wouldn't let me log in and had to reset my password and the new layout looks sterile and about as inviting as being sat on a broken down CZ on a back lane............at 3am..........in winter......................in a snow storm.................on the way to a funeral. No, I don't like it. Faffing about because you can and it's new is not always wise.

Comment

Now I've just tried to edit the layout on that last post a it f**ks up on that !

Comment

Have to agree with bluedog59.

If it ain't broke, don't break it trying to fix it !

Took me ages to work out that I needed to sign back in every time I visit, & I won't mention how long it took me to work out how & where to sign in !

I've also noticed that very few people have added anything to the forums since the new layout appeared.

Comment

Maybe we could have a reply from the "digital manager" (who hasn't been on since 24th) ? Not exactly tending to his "digital platform".
          It's not like we had a lot of traffic to loose despite 19,000 members.

Comment

Just to balance this out; I joined the forum years ago but had a technical glitch that wouldn't let me post. It was never resolved and i forgot all about it. Got an email saying you guys had a new platform. It allowed me to reset everything and i'm back in and able to post.

Just stuck a pic up of my current project.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedog59 View Post
              Maybe we could have a reply from the "digital manager" (who hasn't been on since 24th) ? Not exactly tending to his "digital platform".
              It's not like we had a lot of traffic to loose despite 19,000 members.
              Hopefully, there will be a new impetus and this forum will be rejuvenated as it's THE single most underused forum I'm a member of which is a shame. If all 19K members were given a nudge and encouraged to post/reply on here it just might kickstart new interest.

Having said that....forums in general are dying on their arse when compared to Facebook groups :/ Forums still have their place, especially when documenting project progress with images etc...FB is far too fast and your input is easily lost.
              My Honda CBX550 project here: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...at-on-a-budget!

Comment

I am receiving loads of emails from the forum even though the subscription page says I have no subscriptions. Is there a way to stop this?

Comment

Not as yet, sorry. James is working on it as we speak.

Comment

Hi All,
                    Just to inform on a few of these posts.

1. We're moving over to black since you prefer - there will be some design time inbetween where some areas need to be converted.
                    2. The comment about all 19K members having a nudge? The point of moving this was to upgrade it, and when it happened around two weeks ago, we emailed all 19K - A lot of these members will have moved on from forums.
                    3. We are having an issue with old notifications being sent out, this is going to be shut off as soon as possible.

Originally posted by hondabrat550 View Post

Having said that....forums in general are dying on their arse when compared to Facebook groups :/ Forums still have their place, especially when documenting project progress with images etc...FB is far too fast and your input is easily lost.
                    Exactly, whilst we want to help the forum community our Youtube, 650,000 Facebook and 130,000 instagram and stories is a great place to get more frequent posts and interest. Please do join the conversation there.

The Youtube especially might be interesting for the Forum as we're working on a lot of high quality content around bike builds and custom bikes.

Best
                    James

Comment

Now I've got used to the new forum a bit it's not so bad but it could look a bit more appealing, other than that my only issue is when I look at a photo I seem to have to use the back button to return to the main part of the thread. To be honest though I would guess alot of that is down to us having to upload the photos onto here since photobucket turned into a greedy bastard!
                      As for forum use yeah it is a shame we don't get more people on here but when it comes to build threads I find them much easier to follow and a bit more interesting to read in a forum than on facebook as facebook just seems a bit sort of shallow to me.

Comment

It looks better now

Comment

Originally posted by dave View Post
                          Now I've got used to the new forum a bit it's not so bad but it could look a bit more appealing, other than that my only issue is when I look at a photo I seem to have to use the back button to return to the main part of the thread. To be honest though I would guess alot of that is down to us having to upload the photos onto here since photobucket turned into a greedy bastard!
                          As for forum use yeah it is a shame we don't get more people on here but when it comes to build threads I find them much easier to follow and a bit more interesting to read in a forum than on facebook as facebook just seems a bit sort of shallow to me.
                          Dave, for image hosting/sharing I now use IMGUR, same process - open account - upload your images - click the 'share' link appropriate to the media you're posting in...simples I do prefer the forum format for more indepth information sharing, such as build threads as I too lose FB posts and image rich posts/albums are a bugger to view on a phone.

So to practice what I preach I will be updating my threads in the very near future.....mind you I have done bugger all for a good while now :/
                          My Honda CBX550 project here: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...at-on-a-budget!

Comment

Hello - It could be nice if people not logged in could also view images. as forums are really a way to share knowledge. like when people are googling "carb problem 1980 honda cg125" and they come here, they can browse the forums, see the photos, appreciate the community, etc.

I also think that the login or sign up button in the top right corner is a bit odd/invisible it should at least be a diff color. like maybe it should be orange instead of the forums / blogs / article tab.

EDIT: I also cant say i really think the forum and colors are very usable readable...

here are two other forums I use, and even though they are a bit "ugly" they are just more user friendly it seems

https://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewf...6ac4c15b5c41f9

see this photo for reference EDIT: i uploaded using the native interface and its total shite... so for one that is a problem

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.27.38 PM.png

here is the screenshot i wanted to show
                            ITS ACTUALLY BELOW BUT THE LINK IS WHITE.... ON WHITE!!!!!

http://imgur.com/a/WHJbb

http://imgur.com/a/WHJbb

black on black text for the statistics, and also the light blue dark blue is impossible to read at a glance.

sorry to be so critical, but i have to agree with alot of people it was easier/better before. i would volunteer to workshop some solutions

thanks
                            Last edited by speedingmotorcycle; 5th-12-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X