Bonnie on a budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnie on a budget

Earlier this year I traded my old GSX14 for a 2012 Bonnie. I really didn't want the chrome engine one so spent ages looking then along came a black engine one with low miles and one owner from new so I had to have it. Unfortunately though although it's fun to ride it's in a god awful shade of gold which looks far too much like beige for my liking and it was overall far too sensible-read bloody boring to look at! First off was to fit some loud pipes which I did on the first day but it still didn't feel like me, after trying all the old handlebars in my shed and nothing felt right I was in a local bike shop chatting to the owner who's also got a Bonnie he produced a crate of old handlebars from the depths of his stock rom and I found what we think is a pair of old Triumph export bars from the 60's. They're slightly higher and a bit wider than stock and they felt just fine so one they went. Now though it's time to make it look a bit less sensible for not alot of money as that's all I've got lol!

This is how it looked when I first got it
    Attached Files

I've started at the back end, I hate that rack and taillight assembly so this has to go!

It didn't take long at all to get all that off and I soon had my ebay a second hand grab rail fitted in place
    Attached Files

Comment

I found an old trailer mudguard and taillight that I'd planned to use on another project a few years ago but never did so after some serious shortening of the mudguard and adding some cheapo M&P indicators they're now on the bike
      Attached Files

Comment

Stage one all finished mudguards changed, tail light and indicators all fitted and wired up, clock mounting changed and ignition switch relocated too - Triumph had positioned the switch in such a way that if you fitted short stemmed aftermarket indicators you couldn't get the key in the ignition any more!!!!
        Just waiting for some slightly warmer drier weather and I'll have a little test ride and take some photos

Comment

Hi Dave, I rather like the pale gold....it went well with the met green on earlier Triumph models, but to each their own as they say. Have you considered pinstripes? They can really make a paint job 'pop' for not a lot of money, you can go subtle or loud....the side panels really could do with something and striping would work out a lot less money than a paint job.

I had my old Beetle striped by Simon (Nefarious) and it turned out great. Here's his contact/website. http://pinstriping.co.uk/

As you've gone black with the rear guard, maybe go black on the front too?

I'd be looking to lose those mahoosive mirrors for some sleeker style.
          My Honda CBX550 project here: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...at-on-a-budget!

Comment

I absolutely hate that gold paint! I have ideas though, I recently saw a Nissan Skyline in a satin finish blue metallic that looked the nuts, it would go great with some art deco style pinstriping but if I can't find a local paintjob who can do that plan B is for traditional black with hot rod flames. There is also plan C which will come into play if I can't get a good price selling my Jeep and that is to just go satin black all over with some cheating pinstripe tape on it as that's about all I will be able to afford.
            Since the photos were taken the front mudguard is now also black and a lump shorter, those bars have been swapped for some 60's desert sled bars and the mirrors have been changed also, I will say though the new mirrors are still quite big but that does increase my life expectancy when cutting through traffic
            I'm still waiting for some dry roads to take it out and get some pics, although the weather's warmed up a bit the roads out here in the sticks are greasy as hell with plenty of mud everywhere - I even had the Jeep trying to turn sideways the other day without even trying so the bike is not going out just yet!

Comment

Ah, so you have a satin black option...hmmm...how's about a cheapo striping/paint job by using adhesive pinstripes over gold, sprayed black..remove striping and hey presto you gots a black n gold flamed tank.....thank me later

Post latest images.

I agree about the slimey roads....still happy to give it a go when it's dry enough.
              My Honda CBX550 project here: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...at-on-a-budget!

Comment

Working...
              X