Motobi 250 Kitchen Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motobi 250 Kitchen Build

Bought this bike in April I was initially looking for a Moto Morini 350 strada or sport and after missing out on a couple I came across Motobi/Benelli sport special, after losing a garage and moving to a terrace house I needed a compact bike to get through the house.

I dont have a shed but lucky enough to have a lean to, around May I got the bike running engine had good compression. This bike has so few bolts holding it together it only took only a couple of hours to dismantle.

Comment

Over the next few months I got the wheels rebuilt with alloy rims from Hagon in Hainalt essex not cheap but my one luxury and I wanted to use local resources as much as possible they are not far from east London. It was a long wait for the wheels two months, during that time I seached for an alternate petrol tank I did initial have ideas of a Zanzini replica but I loved the shape of the early sport special tank. Managed to aquire a very beaten up tank not my best buy but it only had suface rust. Also I found a local welder 'Mel' A1 Welders in Leyton east london, he turned out to be a complete god send the frame had some damage that needed repairing.
      Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

After collecting the frame I asked Mel if he would repair the Tank and if he knew any local guys who could paint the tank he offered to do the tank, why not seemed a decent guy good rate. Mel gave me contact re decals and stripe, had a mate at Viscount Ltd Woodford still very local. So I left the tank with Mel and visited Viscount to get the decals, initially I wanted the tank Red I was going to confirm colours but I did not realise how many different types of red there are thats not taking into account metallics. Motobi have a gold in their decal what goes well with gold black so a last minute change in colours, re frame I liked the silver kept it silver leaving it up to Mel to match color.

Its a simple bike build very simple bike but a turning point was getting the tank back from Mel
        Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

The tank and frame looked awesome when it came back from Mel, thats not the best picture above will post other picks.

I also sourced a period seat an after market addition to these bikes after using a wire brush on the metal base and painting with Hamerite I took it into a local funisher upholster, Robson furniture upholster they where a 15 min walk away very reasonable collected next week.
          Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I had some time off over Christmas since the lean to was a bit damp had to be a Kitchen build.

Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Sad to say I forgot to get eevee's Christmas present shes the cat under the tree.
              Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

But I didnt forget myself and the build has moved to the lounge, eevee got treats turkey even some steak so not a bad time for all.

Comment

Still in progress yesterday used PJ1 on the Manifold and placed an order for a matt black shorty exhaust. Its amazing what some nice wheels, seat, clip-ons and paint job can do from an oranage mostrosity that I named Norbert2 after an ugly cackus with potato head additions that belonged to my daughter.

Last edited by nortonj; 2nd-01-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Whats this pass as a cafe racer or classic restoration.

Comment

The new silencer arrived this week coupled with the PJ1 painted exhaust looks awesome much better than the original exhaust, but still waiting on the exhaust spring mounts.

Comment

What a lovely little bike & now looks far better than when you got it. A credit to you sir !

Comment

Thanks, looking at the bike photos on your posts the bike looks insane love the vintage look.

Comment

Throttle, clutch and brake cables have arrived I also replaced the throttle body, I need to work out how to solder a barrel onto the brake cable a solderless barrel might not be a good idea for brakes. If anyone has any tips re barrels please share.

I might reduce the length of the clip-ons, next job is the electrics I do have plans to switch the stator coils from 6v to 12v at a later date.

Comment

That's one very nice looking bike you're built there mate

Comment

Working...
                              X