My daughters CB550

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughters CB550

Once Ive got this photo bucket thing sussed I'll post some pics, but for now I'll give you a quick run down of my current project.
    It's a 1976 CB550f which will eventually be my daughters daily ride.
    It will have gsxr forks and brakes with a cognito moto hub. 17 inch rims laced to aforementioned hub and original rear drum, flat seat with small kick up at the rear and a few other personal touches. Cant decide whether to go for clip ons or flat bars yet.
    Anyway, pics to follow…………..
    If you don't learn from your mistakes then they are just mistakes

waits expectantly :-)

Comment

Me thinks the wait will be long!!
      Any tips on the photo bucket thing?

Comment

flat bars
        clip ons
        side

Comment

By jingo, I've done it! Some helpful tips in another post (thank you Joe Bar and Mark)
          A word of warning for anyone wanting to use a Cognito Moto hub. ALL the spokes have to be laced to the inside of the hub flange, otherwise the spokes will foul the caliper!

Comment

Very promising...............crack on

Comment

I like that a lot.

Comment

nice.

Clip ons.

Comment

Kev44: Thanks. I think I'm going to have trouble with the wiring tho'. Might have to sub that out?
                  MattG: Thanks
                  Greenhorn: I think you're right! I'm building it for my daughter though so I guess she will have the final decision?

Comment

Yeah clip ons definitely !

Wiring is easy on the old bikes :0)

Comment

Keeping all the wiring tidy and (fairly) well hidden is going to be my biggest challenge.
                      Arrgh, the joys of wire wheels, inner tubes, single disc, heavy hub, etc. etc…… 60!! grammes of balance weights on the front, 35 grammes on the rear. Not pretty!

I've really got to get my finger out on this one now, My daughter just had her bike nicked from south Croydon last night 09/09/2014. It's a white cbr125r. Reg. LP08 UPD.
                      So she is now bikeless and I feel like I should've stuck to my original plan of keeping this one a simple strip down and back to basics brat bike. (She'd be riding it by now)
                      Life would have no surprises if we all had a crystal ball
                      I'll stop moaning now and get back in the shed

Comment

Lovely laced wheels.....am I right in thinking whoever balanced the wheels could've used spoke mounted balance weights instead if hideous stick ons?? Really like the upside down front forks and wires.
                        My Honda CBX550 project here: http://thebikeshed.cc/forums/threads...at-on-a-budget!

Comment

Wow! That's a lot of weight! Are you sure your wheels are straight?

If they are, definitely go for spoke mounted weights.
                          I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

PS. On the bars front, have you thought about Norman Hyde M bars?
                            I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

Why can't my reply be created at this time?

Comment

Working...
                              X